Children & Family Pastor
Good News Church in Sioux Falls, SD, is seeking to hire a Children & Family Pastor (job description follows). The primary emphasis of this position is to provide spiritual leadership for Good News Church’ ministry to children (birth-4th grade) and their families leading them into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. This is a full-time exempt position and includes a competitive compensation and benefits package.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and statement of faith by May 13. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for May 28 and 29.
Job Description: Children & Family Ministry Pastor
To provide spiritual leadership for Good News Church’ ministry to children (birth-4th grade) and their families leading them into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ
Key Result Area #1: Leadership and Visioning –
Supporting Goals: With the Good News vision, mission and strategy as the basis, give overall leadership and vision to the children and their families
· Annually establish 2-4 ministry goals that align with the church’s vision, mission, and strategy
· Develop and implement plans to achieve specific ministry goals
· Regularly pray for the children and volunteer leaders for whom this position is responsible
Key Result Area #2: Spiritual Development
Supporting Goals: To provide a robust and biblical approach to the spiritual development of the children, their families, and volunteer leaders
· Actively participate in opportunities that encourage your growth as a spiritual leader (including having a professional and spiritual mentor)
· To develop and nurture adult leaders who are committed to growing in Christ and leading children
· Provide, develop and adapt appropriate curriculum that is consistent with the beliefs and practices of our church and denomination and with proven spiritual growth catalysts and disciplines.
Key Result Area #3: Teamwork and Equipping
Supporting Goals: To build relationships in order to recruit, equip and empower effective leaders for Sunday and Wednesday discipleship classes, VBS, etc.…
· Recruit and lead a team to implement the ministry
· Prayerfully recruit, train and shepherd volunteer leaders with diverse gifts and personalities
· Develop and maintain relationships with children and their families
· Meet weekly/monthly with Executive Pastor for accountability and direction
· Collaborate with the entire staff on programs and activities that encourage faith nurturing relationships among children, families, and intergenerationally among the congregation
Key Result Area #4: Administration
Supporting Goals: To provide administrative oversight and coordination of the children’s programs and regularly communicate with the congregation, church leaders, staff, children, families and volunteer leaders
· Use written, verbal and technological communication tools to effectively plan, organize and communicate with various teams
· Develop/participate and maintain a calendar of events/activities
· Maintain contact with children and parents; keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement
· Coordinate and communicate all calendar events with the administration office and staff
· Provide, develop and maintain consistent disciplinary and safety standards for children
· Develop and oversee the budget for the children’s ministry
· Oversee ordering of needed supplies, curriculum and ministry materials
· Stay current with children’s ministry practices by reading, attending leadership conferences, connecting with others in the children’s ministry field, etc.
Qualifications and Skills:
· Be a growing Christian with a deepening personal relationship with Jesus Christ who can model this to others. This means a regular commitment to regular participation in weekend worship services, Bible reading, prayer, and sanctification as a Christian in all of life.
· Have a firm understanding and identity in the Gospel of Jesus Christ
· Have a humble heart, willing to be “last” as a servant and have a teachable spirit
· Be growing in elder-like character, knowledge, and skill (I Timothy 3)
· Be proficient in leadership recruitment and development, capable of casting and imparting a vision for ministry; be a self-motivated leader
· Have an enthusiastic, personable and approachable personality
· Possess strong communication skills and relational skills with students, parents, and staff
· Demonstrate organizational strength and creative abilities
· Have teaching experience
· Demonstrate knowledge of developmental levels of children
· Possess basic computer skills (e.g., word processing, email, etc.)
· Degree in Christian ministry or equivalent experience working with children (5 years preferred)
· Background check required.
Reports to: Good News Executive Pastor for accountability and development
Compensation and Requirements: This is a full-time exempt position that includes competitive salary and benefits.